Wednesday, October 1, 2008

And I was Rybka...

I was thinking over some opening lines instead of actually training (I suppose general opening studies is training...), and decided to play a bunch of themed games against a 2300 rated blitz player named pollock. I also play on FICS, and I had encountered him, and thought of him as a general nice guy. I had asked him some questions regarding opening play, and he had a lot of insightful ideas.

I was asking him if he wanted to help me learn some Sicilian tabiyas, and he accepted. My rating on FICS is about 2200, but on ICC I was rated about 1400 in blitz because my mouse was broken when I had played all my provisional games. We were to play some games in the Sicilian Dragon where neither of us were booked up, but he was getting torn to shreds in the tactical melee, and decided to start using his main opening weapons because he was angry at losing.

In our unrated games, the score was heavily in my favor in the themed games. He started getting angry and started switching move order to try to confuse me and played really offbeat Sicilians, when he agreed to play themed games in the Sicilian Dragon. 

In this game, I suppose he had enough of losing, and he moved to his main weapons in the Ruy Lopez for no apparent reason, and barraged me with insults, which I find hilarious.

On about move 19, I receieved the message:

pollock: you are computer assisted
mkeaton: that is pretty flattering but i am not cheating
pollock: ive reported you
mkeaton: go ahead, im not even cheating
pollock: dont worry i already reported you
mkeaton: lol... this is extremely flattering...

On move 41, I think he went absolutely mentally berserk, believing that his assumption that I was a computer. He sent a large amount of obscenities and I sat there laughing. I think this bodes well for my chances for Candidate Master, if I can play like Rybka ;).

It's surprising to me how some people are extremely friendly when they think they are better than you, standing on a high horse. I suppose I'm not any better but I don't like double standards. This same guy was telling me how to play chess a few days ago, and upon losing a few blitz games, goes berserk and calls me a bunch of obscenities.

On a lighter note, Vojislav Milanovic has revealed himself to be quite adept deadpan humor and sarcasm.

voja(IM): alright i need you to send me your latest losses from tournament games or standard games from ICC
voja(IM): it should be an easy task 
mkeaton: i havent lost in the last few tournaments ive played
voja(IM): im sure you can look for them
mkeaton: no really, i don't remember losing a serious tournament game since vegas, which is almost me not losing this whole year.
voja(IM): well, you dont need lessons from me, you are already world champion :)

No comments: