Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Tickets and... Money

Bleh, my tournament plans have been blown since my already tight budget, and what was left of what I could spend went to a speeding ticket.

This got me thinking about the issue of whether or not chess is really "cheap" to play. Proponents of the game will tell you that it is a relatively cheap game to play and enjoy, and will not cost as much as an Xbox, sports equipment, the list goes on.

I thought about how much I was spending on tournaments, and this is the money I had to pay play in a local tournament. (This is all US dollar amounts.)

USCF Dues: 40$
State Federation Dues: 60$
Tournament fees: 20-60$

Now, this is taking consideration that I don't even own a very nice chess set - one of those cheapo ones that barely get by in tournament play. Also, I don't even own a personal clock. Let's see how much some of these things would cost.

Chronos Clock : 100$
Nice set: 30-40$

Cheap clock: 30$
Cheap set: 15-20$

I suppose this a lot of this is static, and some of the fees are only yearly, or monthly. But look how much I spent in one of the bigger United States Events. I suppose it is correct for it to cost a bit more, being the "national" open and all, but there isn't much stronger competition around where I live so I have to travel to these things just for some exposure to stronger opponents.

National Open:

(I had already invested in the "standard static" equipment.)

The Commute : 100$ in gas
Housing: 200$
Tournament Fees: 120$ approximately

This doesn't really take account to all the expenses, but its already a picture of how much it may add up just to play chess. Take in account I went to VEGAS with a budget that small  (just enough to eat, stay there, and play chess, and an occasional drink) and barely scraped by.

I suppose it isn't TOO bad compared to other things, like poker, but damn, speeding is the last thing I thought that would have affected my game.

No comments: